Monday, April 4, 2011

It's always Wintour

I have one role model in this world where I stand back in awe of the heights she's reined. Anna Wintour, Editor in Chief of American Vogue.
I mostly admire her because she is a woman who knows what she wants, she is an genius business woman- she understands and transforms brands to perform better (like when she had Marc Jacobs positioned at Louis Vuitton)- and is the one force who can shift the entire fashion world.  
I believe she is such a powerful and respected woman because of her values. She has stated, "people respond well to those that are sure of what they want."
When Wintour was interviewing at Vogue, Grace Mirabella, then Vogue's editor, asked Wintour what job she would like if she came to the magazine. "Your job," Wintour is said to have replied without blinking. Six years later, she was the Editor. Aiiiiiiiiight!
As graduation is coming upon me in six months, I find myself straying from my plans of advertising/brand management (or death!) in favour of general business consulting positions, where I know I can easily be placed on a career path and make some nice money. But is this the career path I have dreamt of? Nope. 
My plan to combat these quick fix temptations is to remember there is no way Anna Wintour would take on a project that she doesn’t altogether love. And neither should you. When you find yourself swaying from what you absolutely want and desire and most of all, what you know you will be brilliant at; stay focused on you. Tell Mirabella you’ll have her job in six years…whatever is it…do it for you.





No comments:

Post a Comment