Monday, February 6, 2012

A GIANT 2012 Super Bowl

Insert glaringly obvious blog post. However, this was my first Super Bowl experience in America and so I will rightfully blog about it. I love that the first time I watched the half time show, it was Madonna performing. Major. I lost all sense and was dancing around the lounge room to classic Madonna. Girl, those boots were beyond. 

This was the first time I watched the ads in unison during the game (apparently there was football too).  I loved watching the placement of the brands at different times during the game. At one point, Chrysler was pretty on its game, as was Lexus, Honda and Toyota...but no Ford. Eventually Ford came to the party, but she was wearing the same dress she wore for the last 10 parties and I was left too bored to even mention it here. 

I was tweeting like a mad woman and joining in on the #superbowl, #adbowl, #brandbowl, #whartonfoa party. Super fun. I'm a super nerd. 

Here are my all important top 4 from Super Bowl 2012: 

M&Ms - "Sexy and I Know It"

This was a brilliant introduction of 'Brown' to the M&M's advertising series of characters. It's not just me who loved the tone, message and creative content of this ad. Kellogg School of Management Clinical Professor of Management, Tim Calkins agrees. "At Kellogg, our review evaluates the ads based on strategic execution and the potential to build brands, and M&M's did this well".  On a side note, I think I can relate to Red just a little too much.



Chrysler - "It's Halftime in America"

Anytime you bring in Clint Eastwood, you're bringing in the big guns. Amongst the clutter of fast cars with hot girls doing ridiculous tricks (seriously, the Sonic car sky dived out of an airplane), Chrysler brought a heartfelt clear message to America. The execution of this ad was flawless as it was played during half time. Eastwood's delivery of the message had me proud and motivated for America and hey, I'm not even close to being American. It was a brave sentiment that stood out from every other ad during the Super Bowl. It was deep and provided Chrysler with amazing cut through of the metal clutter surrounding it. Nice.


Doritos - "Man's Best Friend" 

This was one of the first ads shown in the first quarter and it had me laughing for the next three quarters. Doritos is the master of Super Bowl ad execution and now it seems social media influence; Man's Best Friend scored 73, 724 tweets in the 45 minutes after the ad was shown. Doritos always provides a clear message to their audience: you will do anything to get your hands on those Doritos. It's true too, I tried to run down to the CVS on the corner to get my husband some Doritos just before the game and the place had SOLD OUT. Doritos stayin' on top! 


Sketchers - "Go Run Mr. Quiggly!"

I have to say it, any brand that swaps Kim Kardashian for a dog is genius. Dogs had the run of the ad world last night and I think Mr Quiggly was easily in the lead. I mean, he moon walked over the finish line in his red Sketchers. What more do you want? The creative is genius, the message is clear and the product placement is sublime. Mr Quiggly also had a nice response on Twitter with 35, 256 tweets in the 45 minutes after the ad aired. Now, to go get me some red Sketchers and a Mr. Quiggly! 



If you'd like to join me on Twitter, I'd love to see you. I'm over at @therealkatielee

No comments:

Post a Comment